Step by Step Guide For Getting Paint Off Shoes
Many of us work on jobs where getting paint on our shoes is not that hard. While getting paint is easy on your shoes, getting paint off shoes is a different story.
Some of us even paint our rooms and end up getting the paint all over our favorite sneakers and shoes. When it dries off, it leaves a nasty stain. So we will learn all about how to remove paint from shoes.
Different kinds of paints
Before we start learning about getting paint off shoes, you need to realize the different paints that get on your shoes. Some are dry paint, some are oil-based paints, some are spray paints, and some are water paints. The most likely to leave a stain on your shoes are:
- Water-based paints
- Spray paint
- Oil-based paints
Tips on Getting Paint Off Shoes
- All these methods will work on every type of shoe, so use them without any fear.
- Try to be careful while applying the solution, don’t let it spread anymore.
- Use the tape to make sure you don’t get the extra stain on unstained areas.
- Also, use gloves when you are using chemicals like thinner and rubbing alcohol.
Getting Paint Off Shoes When The Paint is Water-based
The water-based paint is most likely to get removed by using a liquid solution or mixture. There are various methods that you can use to remove the paint from shoes, but I suggest these two:
Soaking and laundering
One of the primary methods every household tries at the start. Remove the paint from shoes by washing them with detergent soap. To do that, you need to follow these simple steps:
- Get a spoon or a similar sharp curvy object suitable for scraping the dry paints off your shoes. You don’t have to scrape all of it out; try to get as much as you can.
- Dust off the dry paints till none remain on the layer of your shoes.
- Start to soak the shoe in the water and keep it there for a few minutes, maybe half an hour or so.
- Then start your washing machine, get the detergent and soap there, and wash it for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Ensure the water is not warm, and you are using cold water for getting paint off your shoes.
- Rinse them after washing, and make sure you don’t put them in the dryer. Dry your shoes outside in the air under the sun.
The second method you may be wondering about how to remove dry paint from shoes is by moisturizing it. Getting paint off shoes by moisturizing is still one of the best ways, and you can do that by following these steps:
- Start with scraping out the dry paint as we did in the previous method; you can use any object, including a spoon, to scrape.
- Take a nice medium-sized piece of cotton, make it into a small tight ball, and apply moisturizer on the places of stained shoes.
- Once you get done applying the moisturizer, let it rest for about a few minutes.
- Use a wet cloth and start to remove the paint from shoes.
- You will see the stains coming off, and do that till all of the stains come off.
- The hardest stains that even laundry can’t take off will get removed in a maximum of three or four tries of the method.
Also Read: Best Shoes For Swollen Feet In 2021
Getting Paint Off Shoes When The Paint is Oil Based
Suppose you are wondering about getting paint off shoes that are oil-based. Then let me tell you, these paints are harder to remove, and you cannot remove them like water-based and dry paints.
They need many things and extra care; the most common product you use to remove this type of paint is alcohol.
There are three methods that I recommend for this type of paint are:
Olive Oil Treatment
If you work in the painting industry and wear leather and sneaker shoes, this way is super effective to remove paint from shoes. Follow these steps:
- Scrape off the dry paint from your shoes with a spoon gently, and don’t ruin your sneakers and leather shoes while doing that.
- Apply the oil on the surface of the stained areas by using cotton or directly applying it with hands.
- Once you get done applying, let it sit and soak the oil for a while.
- Then take a dry cloth and start sipping out the paint; if it’s not gone, repeat until you see the stain is all gone.
- Once there is none left, take a sponge or similar washing project, dip it on moderate warm soap water, and clean your shoes.
- After that, wait for them to dry off.
Nail Polish Remover
We all know that nail paint remover always works on nail polish and oil-based paints. So we will use this other method for getting paint off shoes. Follow these methods:
- By using a spoon or blunt knife, scrape off the dry paint as much as you can.
- The next is preparation, as the nail polish remover may leave some extra stain on clean areas. So it’s advised to use masking tape on unwanted areas.
- Use a sponge or cotton and soak it in water and start patting on the stained areas.
- Then with a new cotton ball, get the nail polish remover on the stained areas.
- Let it sit for a couple of minutes, and get the tape off.
- Wash your shoe and let it air dry in the sun.
The most known method for oil plants is rubbing alcohol; it gets trusted to remove paints from your shoes like no other. So let’s get started by following these simple steps:
- Take 70% of alcohol and about 30% of warm water to make a solution.
- Leave it for a while, and start removing the dried-out paint from the shoes by scraping it out with a spoon.
- Get a ball of cotton and start applying the solution to stained areas.
- Wipe with a piece of cloth and repeat till the stain doesn’t come off.
- Wash your shoe in the washing machine, rinse it thoroughly, and then dry for a while.
Getting Paint Off Shoes When The Paint Is Spray Paint
Well, if you want to know how to get spray paint off shoes, then it’s pretty simple. The methods are similar as it was earlier in oil paint. We will need to follow a few simple procedures to remove paint from shoes. So, let’s see the simple methods to follow:
- Once you see the paint has left a stain, try quickly removing it as it’s easier getting paint off shoes when it’s fresh.
- If it’s late, then don’t worry. Start scraping and use one of the methods giving in oil paints.
- One thing you can do is take a cloth and put a nail polish remover or paint thinner and start wiping it off the shoes.
- If it still doesn’t work, then try doing the olive oil or rubbing alcohol method. That will surely get the spray paint of your shoes.
As we read, you can try various methods for various paint stains that get in your shoes. Follow the tips as well, and don’t ruin your shoes.
If getting paint off shoes seems complicated for you for the first time, try getting help or watching videos on YouTube for further assistance. Ensure that you follow all the steps and don’t skip any one of them, or it might not work as well as you may have thought.